We are looking for a Project Principal to join our Building Restoration team in our Burlington, Kitchener or Toronto offices. This team creates building science solutions for building renewal and new construction projects across Ontario.
Elevate your career to new heights by applying your passion for building science and structural restoration and developing innovative solutions for new and existing structures.
Why will you enjoy this role?
The engineering professionals on this team are empowered to make projects successful for our clients and communities. They work closely with the project team to analyze, debate and envision solutions that will make a real impact.
You will be part of and supported by a highly respected team who play a critical role in shaping designs and implementing solutions that help to improve existing buildings as well as improve the performance of new structures. Your skills and guidance will be valued as you mentor young professionals and influence the growth MTE’s Building Restoration team.
With a focus on projects in your community, you will also have the satisfaction of seeing your design come to life and make a tangible impact on your community.
“The projects I work on are unique and challenging. I’m always learning new things and applying my skills in each different project.”
Who will you create connections with?
Our Burlington Restoration team is led by Tania Krysa, but the stars are the 14 team members, which include eight Project Managers, five Project Coordinators, and an invaluable Administrative Assistant.
You will also work closely with and receive support from other professionals, such as structural and civil engineers, CAD technologists, and designated substance professionals to ensure that projects are designed to meet the needs of our clients and the community.
Who will you be collaborating with?
Working with the best clients and consulting teams means we also get to work on the best projects! MTE Building Restoration Team has long-term relationships with many municipalities, property managers, architects and contractors. MTE also has a solid reputation in the civil, environmental, and geotechnical engineering fields, which leads to many opportunities to collaborate with new clients and build new relationships.
How will you have an impact on your community?
We feel fortunate to be able to contribute and positively influence the space around us for our neighbours, families and friends. You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, from roof replacements at an elementary school, to full envelope renewals of residential buildings.
“I take pride in seeing my company logo all over as I drive and see construction projects going on. Then when the project is done, I take pride in seeing the positive effect it has on my community. I feel proud being a part of the MTE Family.”
Why is employee-ownership a “big deal” at MTE?
Anyone who works at MTE can become a shareholder, regardless of position. With over 120 shareholders, many of our staff have ownership in the company. This is a large group of people at all levels that has a vested interest in the firm’s success beyond being an employee.
For our culture this means that management is transparent with employees about financial results and strategic plans. In turn, staff are engaged in the operations and success of the company and their team.
Where will you be working?
Our Burlington office is located off the QEW and is easily assessable for those coming from all areas in and around Halton Region. With over 80 people, Burlington is one of MTE’s fastest growing offices, and has a 20-year history in the city. Although building science engineering is your focus, you will have the ability to collaborate with structural, civil and environmental engineering folks, and surveying professionals.
MTE’s Kitchener office is located in a commercial area on the east side of the city, across from Bingemans. It is easy to access from the Expressway and is our largest office with over 225 people. The in-house expertise includes civil, structural and environmental engineering, hydrogeology, surveying and designated substance consulting.
Our Toronto office is home to over 40 structural and civil engineering professionals, who collaborate on building projects big, small and extraordinary. This location is MTE’s newest office, offering a 360-degree view of Toronto from six storeys up and a roof-top patio!
With so many different professionals working in the same office, collaboration is customary! And the office is bright and welcoming. When you walk in you will no doubt be greeted by with a hello by everyone you pass.
How will you make a difference?
- Mentor junior staff and project managers, both technically and be giving guidance for their career path. Teach them what is great about this industry and help them to make connections with other professionals.
- Help us grow our service line and extend our service offerings in the GTA and other geographies. Some ways to help would include being part of industry organizations, doing speaking engagements, and most importantly, treating our existing clients extremely well.
- Act as technical lead and senior peer reviewer on projects and be responsible for technical review of documents produced by other project managers and junior staff.
- Undertake investigations and prepare technical reports for parking garages, roofing, building envelope, leakage assessments, heritage assessments.
- Prepare specifications and manage tendering process.
- Procure new projects and clients through identifying business development opportunities and leading proposal efforts.
- Attend industry events and help increase MTE’s technical profile in the industry.
- Contribute to development of internal technical practice systems and training of junior staff.
- Expedite projects from inception through the investigation, specification and construction stage.
- Ensure timely and accurate invoicing, monitor receivables and be responsible for the financial health of the project.
- Continually seek opportunities to increase client satisfaction and to develop lasting client relationships.
- Responsible for managing project risks and helping staff navigate challenging situations and conversations.
- Manage deliverable compliance in terms of quality and timeliness of delivery.
- This position is based within MTE’s Burlington office. Travel to project sites across southwestern Ontario and in the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area is required. Mileage will be reimbursed for work related travel.
- Other duties as assigned.
What do you bring to the table?
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Building Engineering or Post-Secondary Education in Engineering or Architectural Technology.
- A minimum of +10 years of related experience as a consultant in building science.
- A P.Eng. designation is preferred, but we are open to experienced practitioners with other professional designations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including technical writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent multi-tasking skills and adaptability to shifting priorities.
- Strong organizational skills.
- A team player approach to problem solving.
- The successful candidate must possess a valid class G driver’s license and have access to a vehicle.