We are looking for a Manager to lead our Civil Engineering Division in our Burlington office. This team creates civil engineering solutions for mostly industrial, institutional and residential projects in the GTA & Greater Golden Horseshoe area.
This is an incredible opportunity for someone looking to advance their career by taking on a senior management position in our company.
Are you someone that:
- Is driven by the challenge and success of growing a business.
- Wants to support and grow a team.
- Wants to improve project delivery processes and financial results.
- Finds training and mentorship of junior staff the most rewarding part of your job.
Like running a small business, this role involves growing a team:
The Civil Engineering Division Manager leads a team of over 25 people that includes Civil Engineers, Project Managers, Designers, Inspectors, and CAD Technologists in our Burlington office. The team produces servicing, grading, and stormwater management solutions for development projects across Ontario.
While everyone on the team works together to deliver projects and keep our clients happy, the Division Manager ensures that staff are enabled to do this and are supported to carry out their day-to-day tasks successfully.
Ultimately, you are responsible for the success of the Division. A tall task that involves empowering staff to develop their skills through mentorship, training and project work.
Each year the Division Manager creates a business plan for their Division that outlines their short and long-term goals for maintaining and growing their business. Throughout the year, you will manage and report on the progress of your team, plan and budget.
But without the risk and challenges of running a small business:
You won’t be going this alone. The previous Division Manager has recently been promoted to the Operational Director position for the Burlington and Toronto offices. Kayam Ramsewak will be a resource to you, having led and grown this team over the past 10 years.
You will also have the full support of the other Division Managers in the Burlington office, who are also growing their teams. They will help you as you navigate this role, advocating for the success of the Burlington office. They have all been working together for over five years and meet regularly to collaborate on business and staffing opportunities and challenges, business development strategies and to ensure the overall success of the office.
Have a question? Feel free to reach out to them:
Tania Krysa, P.Eng., LEED AP
Thomas Jones, P.Eng., QPESA, LEED AP
Dan Finelli, P.Eng.
You will also have access to the expertise of over 125 civil engineering professionals, located in MTE’s other offices. This group includes professionals who have been working in the industry for over 35 years, and are just a call away whenever you need advice or input on a project, client or process.
And finally, you have assistance from MTE’s internal corporate services teams who specialize in human resources, accounting, marketing, business development, IT, records and information management. They will work with you every day, helping you advance your business plans, and support your team and clients.
Who do we work for?
Working with the best clients and consulting teams means we also get to work on the best projects! The Burlington civil engineering team has long-term relationships with many architects, developers and contractors. MTE also has a solid reputation in the civil engineering field, which leads to many opportunities to collaborate with new clients and build new relationships.
You may recognize the following projects, which have all benefitted from the knowledge and efforts of our civil engineering team in Burlington:
Gage Park Conservatory, Hamilton
Indigenous House, University of Toronto Scarborough
Platinum Condos, Hamilton
Halton Region Paramedic Services Station 17 and the Milton Fire Station No 5.
Why is the role important?
The Division Manager role may be the most challenging position at MTE; they are our company’s rock stars! They are our leaders, mentors and business growers. They manage teams of professionals each day to deliver projects that shape our communities.
Their staff look to them to help them grow their own careers and development. And they are a resource to all of their team members, providing guidance on how to deliver solutions to our clients.
Your days will also be amplified by the thrill of project work; you’ll have first-hand experience with our clients, approving agencies and other consulting team members. Half of your time will be dedicated to managing and providing technical input on projects, providing you with the opportunity to enhance and improve your community.
Why is employee-ownership a “big deal” at MTE?
Anyone who works at MTE has the ability to become a shareholder, regardless of position. With over 120 shareholders, many of our staff have ownership in the company. This is a large group of people at all levels of the company that has a vested interest in the firm’s success beyond just being an employee.
For our culture this means that management is transparent with employees about financial results and strategic plans. In turn, staff are engaged in the operations and success of the company and their team.
Where will I be working?
Our Burlington office is located off the QEW, and is easy to access for those coming from all areas in and around Burlington.
With over 90 people, Burlington is MTE’s second largest office and has been growing since opening over 20 years ago. Although civil engineering is your focus, you will have the ability to collaborate with structural and environmental engineering, and surveying professionals.
- Overseeing the design and delivery of small to large scale land development projects working collaboratively with your team, your clients and approval agencies to find the right solutions.
- Providing leadership to a group of high performing Technologists, Design Engineers and Project Managers.
- Mentoring staff including mid-year and annual performance reviews.
- Establishing annual business plans and revenue targets for your team.
- Tracking the financial performance of your team on a weekly and monthly basis and be ready to adjust priorities in order to meet corporate goals.
- Monitoring team utilization and work with your team to address productivity concerns.
- Fostering relationships with our existing clients and building relationships with new ones.
- Producing high quality engineering proposals to showcase your team and secure new work.
- Assigning project work to members of your team and leading the weekly scheduling activities.
- Managing individual projects in the role of a Project Manager and stamping engineer.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
- Possess a degree in Civil Engineering combined with a P.Eng. designation and a minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience including both project and team management.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of applicable regulations, standards and legislation related to land development projects.
- Provide technical assistance and input on projects, for the purpose of ensuring delivery of a consistent, quality solution to our clients.
- Provide design and constructability feedback and suggestions for design work completed by your team.
- Pay attention to detail and possess sound independent judgment and decision making skills.
- Be able to competently prepare technical reports to support the consulting work produced by team.
- Be able to communicate effectively with colleagues, staff, agencies and clients;
- Command a “team player” approach to management, design and problem solving.
- Hold strong time management and organizational skills.