We are looking for a Senior Design Engineer/Project Manager to join our Site Development Division in Kitchener. This team creates civil engineering solutions for mostly private development projects in Waterloo Region, as well as sites around Ontario.
As change in your career can be overwhelming; we want to help you make the decision that’s right for you. Here’s some important details about the position and MTE:
Why do others working in this position like the role?
Our Engineers on this team are empowered to make projects successful for our clients and communities. They work closely with the project team to analyse, debate and envision solutions that will make a real impact. They have developed an expertise in site development projects that puts them at the top of their profession. At the same time, there is depth and experience in this group that can be relied upon, someone is always there to provide advice, time and effort to help solve the problem. You’re never alone when you’re on the MTE team.
“The projects I work on are unique and challenging. I’m always learning new things and applying my skills in each different project.”
“As a multi-disciplinary firm, I get to lead projects that involve more than civil engineering. Working with engineers that have expertise in different fields makes me a better, more well-rounded engineer. It’s also rewarding to show our clients how being multi-disciplinary adds value to their projects.”
What kinds of projects will be you be working on?
Working with the best clients and consulting teams means we also get to work on the best projects! They transform our cities and towns into welcoming, vibrant and healthy communities. We feel fortunate to be able to contribute and positively influence the space around us for our neighbours, families and friends.
The Kitchener Site Development team works on projects in over 20 municipalities, including Waterloo, Wellington, Guelph and Brant.
“I take pride in seeing my company logo all over as I drive and see construction projects going on. Then when the projects done, I take pride in seeing the positive effect it has on my community. I feel proud being a part of the MTE Family.”
Who will you be working with?
The Site Development team is made up of 20 people: 5 Civil Engineers, 2 Project Managers, 5 Designers, 5 CAD Technologists and 1 Administrative Professional. They also work closely with our Construction Services group and our Land Development design group to deliver the right solutions for our clients.
Where will I be working?
MTE’s Kitchener office is located in a commercial area on the east side of the city, across from Bingemans and is easy to access from the Expressway. Kitchener is our largest office with over 200 people. The in-house expertise of this office includes civil, structural and environmental engineering; hydrogeology, surveying and designated substance consulting.
With so many different professionals working in the same office, collaboration is customary! And the office is bright and welcoming. When you walk in you will no doubt be greeted by with a hello by everyone you pass.
While we love to see you and catch up, if you need to work from home, there is some flexibility, In January MTE will be implementing a return to work policy, which will provide opportunities for a flexible or blended work program.
What makes MTE different than other workplaces?
MTE is about three things …. People, people, people. Our staff, our clients and our partners.
We get to work for some of the best clients. They value our work and appreciate the skills and experience of our staff. We also have a solid reputation with our agency peers, which results in positive experiences for our staff during the review and approvals processes.
Not every engineering firm is the same, it is truly is the people that make the difference. MTE is an employee owned company, and ownership is available to all staff. We care a great deal about our clients and each other.
These are some of the reasons we like working together:
“I’m very lucky to have an awesome team who always has each other’s backs, personally and professionally.”
“MTE offers solution-based engineering in a cooperative and collaborative environment, with senior staff that is ready, willing and able to help.”
“We use our knowledge and resources to do more than just engineering, but also to help the community around us along with making a safe and fun community.”
“MTE has an inclusive and flexible work environment that encourages and helps employees to follow their personal career goals within the opportunities available.”
What are we looking for in a candidate?
- Degree in Civil Engineering;
- Minimum 6-10 years in an engineering design and/or project management role;
- Possess a P.Eng. designation;
- Ability to lead internal design teams through a project completion;
- Understanding of the Site Plan review process;
- Technical understanding of applicable government technical standards and general engineering practices, processes, and legislative regulations;
- Proficiency with software applications (i.e. MS Office);
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; and
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills.
What will you be doing every day?
- Responsible for the planning, executing and delivery of civil engineering projects, ensuring the project is within budget and on schedule while managing the clients’ expectations;
- Procure new projects and clients by identifying business development opportunities, leading proposal efforts including completing project scoping and RFP assessments;
- Manage day-to-day client interactions, communicate effectively with clients and internal/external project teams, and continually seek opportunities to increase client satisfaction;
- Manage project execution by providing direction to the project team, appropriately scheduling time and acting as main point of contact between internal and external project teams;
- Manage project financials including invoicing, progress payment certificates, collecting accounts receivables and managing project budgets;
- Participate in business development activities;
- Attendance at project meetings; and
- Other duties; as assigned.