We are looking for Intermediate and Senior Civil Design Engineers to join our Land and Site Development Teams in our Kitchener office. These teams create civil engineering solutions for mostly private development projects in Waterloo Region, as well as sites around Ontario.
This is an incredible opportunity for someone with a passion for designing and building the infrastructure that underpins modern society.
Why do others working in this position like the role?
The Engineers on this team are empowered to make projects successful for our clients and communities. They work closely with the project team to analyze, debate and envision solutions that will make a real impact. They have developed an expertise in land and site development projects that puts them at the top of their profession. At the same time, there is depth and experience in these groups that can be relied upon, someone is always there to provide advice, time and effort to help solve the problem. You’re never alone when you’re on the MTE team.
You will be part of highly respected team who play a critical role in shaping our community, and your skills and expertise are appreciated. With a focus on projects in Waterloo Region, you will also have the satisfaction of seeing your design come to life and make a tangible impact on your community.
“The projects I work on are unique and challenging. I’m always learning new things and applying my skills in each different project.”
“As a multi-disciplinary firm, I get to lead projects that involve more than civil engineering. Working with engineers that have expertise in different fields makes me a better, more well-rounded engineer. It’s also rewarding to show our clients how being multi-disciplinary adds value to their projects.”
Who do we work for?
Working with the best clients and consulting teams means we also get to work on the best projects! The Kitchener Land and Site Development Teams have long-term relationships with many developers, municipalities, and contractors. MTE also has a solid reputation in the environmental, geotechnical and structural engineering fields, which leads to many opportunities to collaborate with new clients and build new relationships.
What kinds of projects will be you be working on?
Working with the best clients and consulting teams means we also get to work on the best projects! They transform our cities and towns into welcoming, vibrant and healthy communities. We feel fortunate to be able to contribute and positively influence the space around us for our neighbours, families and friends. You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, from small-scale residential construction to large-scare infrastructure projects that impact communities.
“I take pride in seeing my company logo all over as I drive and see construction projects going on. Then when the projects done, I take pride in seeing the positive effect it has on my community. I feel proud being a part of the MTE Family.”
Who will you be working with?
Our Kitchener Land and Site Development teams include 18 Professional Engineers, 6 Project Managers, 20 Engineering Designers, 9 CAD Technologists, 6 Contract Administrators and 7 Inspectors.
You will also work closely with other professionals, such as architects, urban planners and environmental engineers, to ensure that projects are designed to meet the needs of the community and comply with regulations.
Why is employee-ownership a “big deal” at MTE?
Anyone who works at MTE has the ability to become a shareholder, regardless of position. With over 120 shareholders, many of our staff have ownership in the company. This is a large group of people at all levels of the company that has a vested interest in the firm’s success beyond just being an employee.
For our culture this means that management is transparent with employees about financial results and strategic plans. In turn, staff are engaged in the operations and success of the company and their team.
Where will I be working?
MTE’s Kitchener office is located in a commercial area on the east side of the city, across from Bingemans and is easy to access from the Expressway. Kitchener is our largest office with over 200 people. The in-house expertise of this office includes civil, structural and environmental engineering, hydrogeology, surveying and designated substance consulting.
With so many different professionals working in the same office, collaboration is customary! And the office is bright and welcoming. When you walk in you will no doubt be greeted by with a hello by everyone you pass.
- Evaluate project information using strong technical skills, experience, innovation and engineering judgement to transform projects from concept design to drawings and detailed specifications.
- Perform engineering design and analysis (storm and sanitary design, water distribution system design, storm water management facility modeling and design, road design etc.) and convey design information to CAD staff for drafting completion.
- Technical report preparation.
- Complete design calculations based on engineering principles, meeting applicable regulatory codes and standards.
- Communicate with project managers, clients and consultants to ensure design will work within the overall scope of the project.
- Participate in project team meetings and coordinate with team members to ensure efficient project delivery.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
- Degree in Civil Engineering or Water Resources Engineering (Masters degree will be considered an asset).
- 7-10+ years’ experience (preferably in a consulting firm).
- Professional Engineer designation (P.Eng.).
- Knowledge of engineering principals, applicable government technical standards and legislative regulations.
- Excellent attention to detail and sound independent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent technical report writing skills, verbal and written communication skills with colleagues and clients, and a “team player” approach to design and problem solving is required.